Spinal Orthosis (HCPCS L0648 and L0650) Quarterly Edit Effectiveness Results of Service Specific Post-Payment Review - JA DME
Spinal Orthosis (HCPCS L0648 and L0650) Quarterly Edit Effectiveness Results of Service Specific Post-Payment Review
The Jurisdiction A, DME MAC, Medical Review Department is conducting a post-payment service specific review of HCPCS code(s) L0648 and L0650. The quarterly edit effectiveness results from July 2021 through September 2021 are as follows.
Based on dollars, the overall claim potential improper payment rate is 51% for HCPCS L0648.
Based on dollars, the overall claim potential improper payment rate is 60% for HCPCS L0650.
Top Denial Reasons
- Documentation was not received in response to the post-payment notification letter.
- Documentation does not support coverage criteria.
- No medical record documentation was received. Refer to Medicare Program Integrity Manual 18.104.22.168.
- Medical record documentation was not authenticated (handwritten or electronic) by the author.
Suppliers billing Medicare should be familiar with the documentation requirements and utilization parameters. Visit the Orthotics webpage to access coverage documents.
- National Coverage Determination (NCD)
- Local Coverage Determination (LCD)
- Policy Article
- Documentation letters, forms, and checklists
- Review tips, tools, and resources
- Related articles
- Educational events and tutorials, if applicable
See the CMS Internet Only Manual (IOM), Publication 100-08, Medicare Program Integrity Manual, Chapter 3 for more information on medical record reviews.
Last Updated Mon, 15 Nov 2021 16:55:10 +0000