Knee Orthosis (HCPCS L1833 & L1851) Quarterly Edit Effectiveness Results of Service Specific Post-Payment Review - JD DME
Knee Orthosis (HCPCS L1833 & L1851) Quarterly Edit Effectiveness Results of Service Specific Post-Payment Review
The Jurisdiction D, DME MAC, Medical Review Department is conducting a post-payment service specific review of HCPCS codes L1833 and L1851. The quarterly edit effectiveness results from June 2021 through August 2021 are as follows.
Based on dollars, the overall claim potential improper payment rate is 63% for HCPCS L1833.
Based on dollars, the overall claim potential improper payment rate is 79% for HCPCS L1851.
Top Denial Reasons
- Documentation was not received in response to the Post-Payment Notification Letter.
- Documentation does not support coverage criteria.
- No medical record documentation was received. Refer to Medicare Program Integrity Manual 126.96.36.199.
- Medical record documentation was not authenticated (handwritten or electronic) by the author.
Suppliers billing Medicare should be familiar with the documentation requirements and utilization parameters. Visit the Orthotics webpage to access coverage documents.
- National Coverage Determination (NCD)
- Local Coverage Determination (LCD)
- Policy Article
- Documentation letters, forms, and checklists
- Review tips, tools, and resources
- Related articles
- Educational events and tutorials, if applicable
See the CMS Internet Only Manual (IOM), Publication 100-08, Medicare Program Integrity Manual, Chapter 3 for more information on medical record reviews.
Last Updated Wed, 20 Oct 2021 16:11:40 +0000