Continued Use / Continued Need
Continued Medical Need
For all DMEPOS items, the initial justification for medical need is established at the time the item(s) is first ordered; therefore, beneficiary medical records demonstrating that the item is reasonable and necessary are created just prior to, or at the time of, the creation of the initial prescription. For purchased items, initial months of a rental item or for initial months of ongoing supplies or drugs, information justifying reimbursement will come from this timeframe. Entries in the beneficiary's medical record must have been created prior to, or at the time of, the initial DOS to establish whether the initial reimbursement was justified based upon the applicable coverage policy.
For ongoing supplies and rented DME items, in addition to information described above that justifies the initial provision of the item(s) and/or supplies, there must be information in the beneficiary's medical record to support that the item continues to remain reasonable and necessary. Information used to justify continued medical need must be timely for the DOS under review. Any of the following may serve as documentation justifying continued medical need:
- A recent order by the treating physician/practitioner for refills
- A recent change in prescription
- A properly completed CMN or DIF with an appropriate length of need specified
- Timely documentation in the beneficiary's medical record showing usage of the item
Timely documentation is defined as a record in the preceding 12 months unless otherwise specified elsewhere in the policy.
Continued use describes the ongoing utilization of supplies or a rented item by a beneficiary.
Suppliers are responsible for monitoring utilization of DMEPOS rental items and supplies. No monitoring of purchased items or capped rental items that have converted to a purchase is required. Suppliers must discontinue billing Medicare when rental items or ongoing supply items are no longer being used by the beneficiary.
Beneficiary medical records or supplier records may be used to confirm that a DMEPOS item continues to be used by the beneficiary. Any of the following may serve as documentation that an item submitted for reimbursement continues to be used by the beneficiary:
- Timely documentation in the beneficiary's medical record showing usage of the item, related option/accessories and supplies.
- Supplier records documenting the request for refill/replacement of supplies in compliance with the REFILL DOCUMENTATION REQUIREMENTS section. This is deemed sufficient to document continued use for the base item, as well.
- Supplier records documenting beneficiary confirmation of continued use of a rental item.
Timely documentation is defined as a record in the preceding 12 months unless otherwise specified elsewhere in this policy.
Last Updated Oct 26, 2018