Provider Outreach and Education Advisory Group (POE AG) Meeting Minutes - March 12, 2019
Claire Anderson, Elizabeth Barton, Kimberly Behrens, Tammy Ewers, Lu Newell, Annessa Schjeldrup, Ryan Waagen
POEAG Member Attendance
Lynne Bautista, Cheryl Bradley, Davina Caraveo, Nichole East, Mitchel Kaye, Greg Labow, Susan LaPadula, Rick Lash
POEAG Mission and Goals
During each meeting, the Mission and Goals are reviewed.
Prior Meeting Minutes
The December 11, 2018 meeting minutes were distributed to POEAG members and published to the website January 08, 2019.
Prior Suggestions and Recommendations
There POEAG meeting recommendations and/or suggestions from the prior event with updates are reflected below.
Part A SNF Payment Model
At this time the final rule has not been published. In the meantime, watch our website for updates or see attached links.https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/SNFPPS/therapyresearch.html and https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/SNFPPS/PDPM.html
New Agenda Items
Prior to the meeting, Noridian solicited agenda topics from members and evaluated significant program changes to discuss.
- New Medicare Card / Medicare Beneficiary Identifier (MBI) Updates - CMS has completed all U.S. states and territories card distribution early and are encouraging providers to start using the new MBI. A current sample of JE specific Medicare fee-for service claims showed Part A 64% and Part B 63% of MBI usership. Thank you, providers, for your continued support on the new card project.
- Therapy G-codes - Effective for dates of service on or after January 1, 2019, Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) G-codes and severity modifiers for functional reporting are no longer required on claims for therapy services. The G modifiers remain the same.
- In the CY 2019 Physician Fee Schedule final rule, CMS-1693-F, after consideration of stakeholders' requests for burden reduction, a reviewed the previous requirements, and in light of the statutory amendments to section 1833(g) of the Act, via section 50202 of Bipartisan Budget Act of 2018 to repeal the therapy caps, CMS concluded that continued collection of functional reporting data through the same format would not yield additional information to inform future analyses or to serve as a basis for reforms to the payment system for therapy services.
- The physician fee schedule final rule ended the functional reporting requirements to reduce burden of reporting for providers of therapy services and revised regulation text at 42 CFR 410.59, 410.60, 410.61, 410.62, 410.105, accordingly.
- Self Service Education and Enhancements
- Noridian Medicare Portal (NMP) Education
- NMP vs. IVR Self Service Elements Comparison Tool Available: - Noridian has created a tool to help providers easily identify the various eligibility, claim status, and financial details that can be accessed via the Noridian Medicare Portal (NMP) and the Interactive Voice Response (IVR). View the Part A and Part B NMP vs. IVR Self Service Elements Comparison Tool
- Appeal Submission and Status Inquiry - NMP Tutorial Available - To help providers save time and money by taking full advantage of all Noridian Medicare Portal (NMP) functions available, we offer self-paced Education on Demand Tutorials webpage. Part A and Part B
- Noridian Medicare Portal (NMP) Enhancements
- 1099 Tax Form 1099-INT and 1099-MISC Functionality - Noridian now has the 1099 tax information available on our portal for calendar years 2017 and 2018. The 1099s on the portal are a copy of the official 1099 form that were mailed to your facility. View the "1099 Inquiry" section of the NMP User Manual to download your copy today.
- Part A Remittance Advice - Effective March 1, 2019, NMP now offers Full Remittance Advices for Part A and DME that receive paper remits. The Full Remittance Advices are available on the "Remittance Advices" section of NMP and are in a PDF format that may be downloaded or printed. Users can choose to view the Last 30 Days of remittances, or search for a specific remittance by date range, check amount or check number. Historical remittances are available for Part A going forward from January 28, 2019 and for DME going forward from January 24, 2019. To get started view the Full Remittance Advice section of the NMP User Manual and watch the Full Remittance Advice self-paced tutorial.
- NMP Offers Additional Expanded Denial Details - Alien, Incarcerated, SNF, and ESRD Facility - The Noridian Medicare Portal (NMP) now offers the ability to view claim denial details for Alien, Incarcerated, Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF), and End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Facility. For alien and incarcerated denials, the listed dates will be shared. For SNF and ESRD denials, the overlapping dates and NPI will be shared. For more information, see the Expanded Denial Details section of the NMP End User Manual.
- Noridian Medicare Portal (NMP) Education
- Point of Contact Email Addresses: Noridian has updated our Points of contact for questions on our website. Part A and Part B
- Provider Enrollment: Provider Enrollment: New content on the Noridian Medicare webpage for Provider Enrollment Complex Specialties. Housed on the Part B Enrollment portion of the website, under Enroll in Medicare; there is a Complex Specialties page. Here we house the following specialty information:
- Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC)
- Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA)
- Independent Diagnostic Testing Facility (IDTF)
- Intensive Cardiac Rehabilitation (ICR)
- Mammography Screening Center
- Medicare Diabetes Prevention Program (MDPP)
- Portable X-Ray Suppliers (PXRS)
We aim to expand this further to add all complex specialties that can enroll in Medicare.
It is that time of year again for the MAC Satisfaction Indicator (MSI) Survey.
We ask that you take a few minutes of your time and complete the survey. The annual survey is tentatively scheduled to launch March 14. CMS has prescribed a vigorous marketing campaign to collect an adequate sample of providers to receive valid survey results. Efforts they have defined include promotion on our webpage, portal, social media, IVR, listserv, webinars and related outreach events, and with support from our POEAG with distribution to their colleagues.
We will be sending an email to you to and request your help in promoting the survey. We do value the feedback received and take action as reflected on the "You Spoke. We Listened." webpage. Part A and Part B
New POEAG Suggestions and Recommendations
During each meeting, all POEAG members are asked to provide suggestions on ways to increase education, improve training methods, or elaborate on topics discussed during the meeting.
- Does NMP offer anything that will help the provider identify who to contact from the other facility when a claim overlap situation occurs? Historically, providers had been unable to share the confidential information. Noridian is excited for the new portal functionality. As part of the NMP Claim Status ‘denial details' feature, when a claim denies due to an overlap situation, we publish the NPI, discharge status and other details with a link for the NPI database to gain specific contact information. The eligibility information was improved and could be used prior to claim submission to prevent the overlap billing too. Members who had used this NMP feature complimented the service during the meeting.
- A member asked if NMP would be improved to offer additional information when a beneficiary is in an HMO. Noridian shared the eligibility functionality has offered HMO information; however, now the Claim Status ‘denial details' feature was enhanced, and HMO details became available in December for applicable claims. The members expressed this is ‘great' news.
- A member asked if NMP will offer beneficiary's hospice information. Noridian shared hospice information is available in eligibility and the Claim Status "denial Details" results. Noridian is interested to have hear from our members on the expanded resources offered within NMP.
Scheduled 2019 Meetings
All meeting times are 1-2 p.m. PT.
- June 11
- September 10
- December 10
Thank you for attending today's meeting, we look forward to working with all of you again.
Last Updated Apr 05, 2019