POE AG Meeting Minutes - March 9, 2021 - JF Part A
Provider Outreach and Education Advisory Group (POE AG) Meeting Minutes - March 9, 2021
POEAG Member or Other (CMS) Attendees
Amber Krueger, Dawn Davidson, and Trisha Anderson
Elizabeth Barton, Reanna Doele, Tammy Ewers, Lu Newell, Tim Morrissey, Annessa Schjeldrup, Julie Schroeder, Lori Weber, Teresa Cirelli, Janel Aamold, Kathryn Grueneich, Katie Hove, Kelly Garlinghouse; Jan Ervin
POEAG Mission and Goals
The primary function of the POE Advisory Group is to assist Noridian in the creation, implementation and review of our provider education and training strategy and efforts. The input received from these groups will affect the way educational materials and correspondence are presented, the content contained in them and how Noridian can best provide resources for the provider community.
Prior Meeting Minutes
The prior meeting minutes were distributed to POEAG members and published to the website(s).
- JFA: https://med.noridianmedicare.com/web/jfa/education/poe-advisory-group.
- JFB: https://med.noridianmedicare.com/web/jfb/education/poe-advisory-group
Prior POEAG Member Recommendations
Below are the POEAG member prior meeting recommendations and the progress or resolution for each item.
|Suggestion Date||Description||Progress or Resolution|
|12/10/20||Add more information on how to bill unlisted codes||03/09/21: A member clarified the request is to determine what internal listing the call center uses for unlisted codes to determine if that may be published externally. Noridian is working with the member on this request.|
|12/10/20||Add more after-hours events||Noridian ensures the Quarterly Update series contain after-hour events. Our Evaluation and Management webinars were offered as after-hours events during the first quarter of 2021. We continue to expand the Education-on-Demand tutorial library to better accommodate provider’s schedules and their access to training. We welcome topic recommendations for after-hour events from our providers.|
New Agenda Items
Prior to the meeting, Noridian solicited agenda topics from members and evaluated significant program changes to discuss.
- CERT Published Errors and Noridian Activities
- CMS has published the 2020 Medicare Fee-for-Service Supplemental Improper Payment Data (PDF). Noridian’s POE and Medical Review team partner for our Improper Payment Reduction Strategy to prioritize policy groups and services each year. If there is a vulnerable CERT area in need of expanded education, Noridian welcomes those recommendations.
- Home Health
- Providers have expressed there are issues with home health and hospice facilities not closing files accurately and/or not timely.
- If this is an impact to you, would you be interested in joining a national home health and hospice teleconference to speak about these issues? If you think this is a good idea and would like to participate, please send a confirmation email with the name of the contact person for future communication (which will come from CGS) as they arrange the call.
- If you prefer, you can send your questions or issues to Noridian to forward to the AB/HHH workgroup to help associations prepare for the conversation.
- MAC Customer Experience (MCE) Satisfaction Survey
- Beginning March 15, Noridian will use the MAC Customer Experience survey to solicit provider feedback on POE’s website content, tutorials, and our live events (webinars). The survey allows Noridian to identify improvements on the content, presenter, description, duration, and gain input on what providers find valuable or what needs to change. They live-event surveys replace our GoToWebinar surveys. This also replaces the MAC Satisfaction Insight prior, annual surveys CMS had coordinated.
- Provider Enrollment Education
- During 2021, our Provider Enrollment education team members will conduct live chat webinars each month. Providers may submit questions in the registration for Noridian to cover during the live chat event before opening the lines for impromptu, open-forum questions. Also, a virtual classroom on topics such as electronic funds transfer agreements, how to set up surrogacy in Identity and Access and how to sign the application in the Provider Enrollment, Chain and Ownership System will be demonstrated. The focus will be on questions the team has received ahead of time. The goal of these outreach options is to assist the provider/supplier community reduce burden associated with the enrollment process.
- Data Analysis: Top reason for claim denials is the patient is on a Health Maintenance Organization or Medicare Advantage Plan. POEAG members previously shared it is a matter of having the claim on file and a business pattern to bill Fee-for-Service, Traditional Medicare regardless of the HMO information they may have. Is there improved outreach Noridian can offer regarding timely filing and how primary insurance company claim denials or correspondence can assist with appeals if needed?
- Two members shared they use the portal for eligibility verification and they bill claims for IMEs and teaching hospitals. They are required to bill MedAdvantage inpatient claims as information only claims for accuracy of the patient benefit periods. Noridian will contact the members to further discuss this requirement referenced at times as “shadow billing”.
Providers can view Ask the Contractor Teleconferences (ACTs), webinars, and related training opportunities by visiting the “Education and Outreach/ Schedule of Events” section of our website.
Webinars and Schedule of Events
- Part A: https://med.noridianmedicare.com/web/jfa/education/training-events
- Part B: https://med.noridianmedicare.com/web/jfb/education/training-events
CMS requires quarterly ACTs. Noridian offers a question and answer portion within each webinar to help streamline applicable topics, audience, and questions for experts. Please share recommendations for any timing, frequency, size, topics, and provider type(s) for the 2021 ACT schedule.
- January 20 (Part A), March 10 (E/M), April 14 (Part B), September 15 (Part A), and October 13 (Part B) from 1-2 ET / 3-4 CT.
Provider Contact Center Training
CMS approves training for Customer Service Representatives (CSRs) for up to eight hours per month. The training improves consistency and accuracy, understanding of issues, and knowledge retention. POE participates in training Customer Service Representatives each month. POEAG member recommendations for PCC training topic or related recommendations are welcome.
During the upcoming round robin portion of the agenda, please share what recommendations you would like to share for CSR training topics.
Electronic Mailing List (Listserv)
Noridian’s email list is distributed weekly with a CMS-authored MLNConnect sent out each Thursday. Noridian’s providers will benefit by seeing outreach opportunities and register as those events are made available.
New POEAG Suggestions and Recommendations
During each meeting, all POEAG members are asked to provide suggestions on ways to increase education, improve training methods, or elaborate on topics discussed during the meeting.
- A member recommended Noridian consider publishing a Request for Assistance form to help facilities submit requests for MAC intervention for overlapping facility claims in which one of the providers has not been responsive to correcting their patient status on a claim. Noridian assists callers currently but will research the recommendation with our call center leadership.
- Noridian was asked to research shadow billing to determine if these extra no-pay claims are still required for HMO beneficiaries. Resources Noridian will research include the following items.
- MM5647 Revised Capturing Days on Which Medicare Beneficiaries are Entitled to Medicare Advantage (MA) in the Medicare/Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Fraction
- MM6329 Revised Providers Submitting Information Regarding Medicare Beneficiaries Entitled to Medicare Advantage (MA) for Fiscal Year (FY) 2006 for the Medicare/Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- CMS Disproportionate Share Hospital (DSH) website
- Noridian will research if there is a listing of guidance for unlisted services that could be published similar to what Noridian’s contact center representatives are using to assist callers.
Scheduled Meetings for 2021
All meeting times 3 - 4 P.M. CT
- June 8
- September 14
- December 14
Thank you for attending today’s meeting. We look forward to working with all of you again.
Last Updated Thu, 15 Jul 2021 12:17:33 +0000