Healthcare Integrated General Ledger Accounting System (HIGLAS)
Noridian will soon be transitioning to the Healthcare Integrated General Ledger Accounting System (HIGLAS). The change to HIGLAS will enable the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) to track Medicare payments and accurately pay claims for over 40 million Medicare beneficiaries. This change is only affecting the financial accounting system, not claims processing.
The HIGLAS transition for Jurisdiction A will take place on March 11, 2020. Waiver of the payment floor will result in some claim payments (checks and EFTs) being issued earlier than normal.
- Providers are encouraged to continue submitting claims as normal.
- Following our transition to HIGLAS, Jurisdiction A will resume normal cycles on March 16, 2020, at which time providers will also be able to retrieve their Electronic Remittance Advices (ERA).
- Payments will not be issued on March 12-13, 2020, and providers may experience a gap in payment activity with some claims having already been paid early due to the waiver of the payment floor. Providers should plan accordingly.
- Remittance Advice (ERA and RA) will include a change once the transition to HIGLAS is complete. Internal Control Numbers (ICN) will include a JA in front of the ICN in the PLB section of the RA (Example: JA20000180012000).
- A provider payment may be subject to offsetting to a third party, such as the IRS. In the current environment, when a provider is subject to TPP, a provider check is pulled the payment is remitted to the third party, but no notification is provided on the RA. After the transition to HIGLAS is complete, third party offsets will be reported on the Remittance Advice.
- In HIGLAS when two or more providers are affiliated and have the same Tax Identification Number (TIN), payments may be withheld from one provider to collect another provider's overpayments.
The transition will include a temporary reduction of the Jurisdiction's payment floor resulting in payments being issued early (checks and Electronic Funds Transfers). Suppliers are encouraged to monitor payments and adjust as necessary once the transition begins.
Suppliers should refer to the letter they received in the mail from Noridian for further information. Noridian is committed to keeping suppliers informed on the HIGLAS transition. Updated information regarding HIGLAS will continue to be provided on the Noridian website.
For further information, please visit our HIGLAS webpage at: https://med.noridianmedicare.com/web/jadme/claims-appeals/higlas.
Last Updated Feb 11, 2020