IVR Conversion Tool
PTAN and Medicare Number Conversion
Interactive Voice Response (IVR) - Self-Service Technology
As required by the CMS, if a provider/supplier calls the Contact Center, speaks with a Customer Service Representative (CSR) and requests information that is available in the Medicare Administrative Contractor's (MAC's) Interactive Voice Response (IVR) or the Noridian Medicare Portal (NMP), the CSR shall inform the caller that the information requested is available via the IVR or in NMP and will direct him/her to these options. Noridian offers both the IVR and NMP as self-service options with extended hours throughout the day and weekend.
To provide an efficient and more streamlined service to providers/suppliers, CMS and Noridian require Medicare suppliers to use the IVR or portal for specific information. These services are only available during the hours the Medicare processing system is available.
The specific services for which Noridian requires providers to use the self-service technology include:
- Eligibility details
- Same and Similar HCPCS lookup
- Payment Floor
- Duplicate Remittance Advice (RA)
- Provider Enrollment (Provider Enrollment, Chain, and Ownership System (PECOS) ordering/referring physician enrollment inquiry)
- Certificate of Medical Necessity (CMN) Status
- Claim Status including:
- Total Charges
- Payment and Date
- Check Number
- Claim Control Number (CCN) (including Internal Control Number (ICN) and Document Control Number (DCN))
- Reason Code for Denial
- User Security
- Any information that is available via the IVR or NMP
Additional information regarding the required use of self-service to complete simple inquiries is available in the CMS Internet Only Manual (IOM), Medicare Contractor Beneficiary and Provider Communications Manual, Publication 100-09, Chapter 6 .
Hours of availability for the required services identified above are:
- General IVR inquiries available 24/7
- Claim-specific inquiries available Monday – Friday 7 a.m. – 9 p.m. ET, Saturday 7 a.m. – 4 p.m. ET
Self-service technology is available 24/7 to provide callers with the following general services:
- Eligibility (with minimal exceptions for downtime determined by CMS )
- Reference telephone numbers
- General redetermination and reconsideration information
- CERT information
- Hours of Operation
The IVR User Guide, located under Educational Resources, explains how to use the IVR and what information it offers. CMS regulations do require Medicare providers to use the IVR.
The End User Manual for the NMP provides more details on what can be found within it.
The IVR Conversion Tool, located in left hand column of this webpage, assists callers in determining the touch-tone data-entry when caller prefers to avoid the voice-recognition option offered from the IVR.
Last Updated Feb 06, 2018