Reason Code 16 | Remark Codes MA13 N265 N276
|Reason Code: 16||Claim/service lacks information or has submission/billing error(s) which is needed for adjudication. Do not use this code for claims attachment(s)/other documentation. At least one Remark Code must be provided (may be comprised of either the NCPDP Reject Reason Code, or Remittance Advice Remark Code that is not an ALERT.) Note: Refer to the 835 Healthcare Policy Identification Segment (loop 2110 Service Payment Information REF), if present.|
| Remark Codes: |
MA13, N265 and N276
Alert: You may be subject to penalties if you bill the patient for amounts not reported with the PR (patient responsibility) group code.
Missing/incomplete/invalid ordering provider primary identifier.
Missing/incomplete/invalid other payer purchased service provider identifier.
Common Reasons for Denial
- Item(s) billed did not have a valid ordering physician National Provider Identifier (NPI) registered in Medicare Provider Enrollment, Chain and Ownership System (PECOS)
- Resubmit claim with a valid ordering physician NPI registered in PECOS
How to Avoid Future Denials
- Verify that ordering physician NPI is on list of physicians and other non-physician practitioners enrolled in PECOS. Even if a provider has an individual NPI, it does not mean that his/her enrollment record is in PECOS and/or is active. Verification of enrollment in PECOS can be done in below ways.
- CMS: Check CMS ordering/referring provider downloadable report which contains NPI, first name, and last name of providers enrolled in PECOS
- Noridian Interactive Voice Response (IVR): Call Noridian IVR and select Option 6 to enter NPI and name of referring provider. IVR will respond if individual is or is not enrolled in PECOS
- Be sure name and NPI entered for ordering provider belongs to a physician or non-physician practitioner. A group NPI cannot be used as ordering NPI on a Medicare claim. In addition, be sure qualifier in electronic claim (2310A NM102 loop) is a 1 (person). Organizations (qualifier 2) cannot order and refer
Last Updated Aug 23, 2018