62 - JE Part A
Modifier 62 is used when two surgeons (each in a different specialty) are working together as primary surgeons to perform distinct parts of a single reportable procedure/surgery simultaneously.
- Append to each Method II Critical Access Hospital (CAH) procedure code line on type of bill (TOB) 85X
- Append when both surgeons have not signed billing rights to CAH
- One surgeon will bill procedure code, with modifier 62, on 85X TOB
- Other surgeon will bill procedure code to Part B on a CMS-1500 Claim Form with 62 modifier
- Do not forget to append this modifier. If left off, Medicare will allow one surgeon at 100% and will deny the other surgeon's claim.
- CMS Internet Only Manual (IOM), Publication 100-04, Medicare Claims Processing Manual, Chapter 4, Section 250.10
Last Updated Mon, 12 Dec 2022 15:46:34 +0000