esMD - JA DME
Electronic Submission of Medical Documentation (esMD)
Noridian accepts Medicare's Electronic Submission of Medical Documentation (esMD) transactions from suppliers responding to Additional Documenation Requests (ADRs). The intent of esMD is to:
- Reduce supplier costs and cycle time by minimizing and eventually eliminating paper processing and mailing of medical documentation to review contractors.
- Reduce costs and time at review contractors.
In order to send medical documentation electronically to review contractors, suppliers must obtain access to a CONNECT-compatible gateway.
- Certain larger suppliers may choose to build their own gateway.
- Many suppliers may choose to obtain gateway services by entering into a contract or other arrangement with a Health Information Handler (HIH) that offers esMD gateway services.
A list of HIHs that offer esMD services can be found on the Internet. The listing is updated with HIHs that have been approved by CMS to offer esMD services. CMS and Noridian do not set the price that an HIH may charge a provider for esMD services. Suppliers who believe it may be more efficient to respond to documentation requests electronically are encouraged to contact one or more of the HIHs to determine if esMD services are available at a reasonable price. esMD is completely voluntary.
Providers are not required to submit their medical documentation using esMD. Providers may continue to use mail, fax, or the Noridian Medicare Portal to submit documentation to Noridian. Additionally, neither CMS nor Noridian will provide reimbursement for any cost or fees for esMD.
- CMS MLN Matters Special Edition (SE) 1110 - Revised
- List of Contractors Participating in esMD
- CMS esMD Webpage
Last Updated Mon, 24 Feb 2020 15:09:17 +0000