Reason Code 16 | Remark Code MA83
|Reason Code: 16||Claim/service lacks information or has submission/billing error(s). Usage: Do not use this code for claims attachment(s)/other documentation. At least one Remark Code must be provided (may be comprised of either the NCPDP Reject Reason Code, or Remittance Advice Remark Code that is not an ALERT.) Refer to the 835 Healthcare Policy Identification Segment (loop 2110 Service Payment Information REF), if present.|
|Remark Code: MA83||Did not indicate whether we are the primary or secondary payer.|
Common Reasons for Denial
- Block 11 on the 1500 claim form was not completed indicating primary or secondary payer.
- Correct and resubmit as a new claim.
How to Avoid Future Denials
- Item 11 on the 1500 claim form must be completed and cannot be left blank.
- If there is insurance primary to Medicare for the service date(s), enter the insured's policy or group number within the box.
- If there is no insurance primary to Medicare, do not enter "n/a," "not," etc., enter the word NONE within the confines of the box.
Last Updated Nov 28, 2018