Article Detail - JD DME
Round 2021 Competitive Bid
Competitive Bid Questions? Competitive Bid Round 2021 product categories only includes Off-The-Shelf (OTS) Knee Braces and OTS Back Braces. Visit our website for resources on the DMEPOS Competitive Bidding Program.
The Medicare DMEPOS CBP was established by the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act of 2003 (“Medicare Modernization Act” or “MMA”) after the conclusion of successful demonstration projects.
- Under the MMA, the DMEPOS CBP was to be phased-in so that competition under the program would first occur in 10 MSAs in 2007
- The Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act of 2008 (MIPPA) temporarily delayed the program in 2008 and made certain limited changes
- CMS successfully implemented the Round 1 Rebid in 2011 in select markets and expanded in 2013 for a total of 130 CBAs
- After recompeting DMEPOS CBP contracts in these markets, CMS announced plans for Round 2019 in all 130 CBAs
- In February 2017, CMS announced that Round 2019 was delayed allowing for reforms to the DMEPOS CBP
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) competed 16 product categories in 130 competitive bid areas (CBAs) in Round 2021
- The product category for non-invasive ventilators was removed in April 2020 due to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) public health emergency (PHE)
- Of the remaining 15 product categories that were bid for Round 2021, 13 of the product categories have been in previous rounds of the CBP, while off-the-shelf (OTS) back and knees braces were competed for the first time in Round 2021
- CMS did not award competitive bidding contracts for any of the 13 product categories for Round 2021 that were previously competed so only off-the-shelf (OTS) back and knees braces are included in the current competitive bid round
Last Updated Wed, 22 Jun 2022 17:37:38 +0000