Correct Coding - Lithium Batteries - Revised - JD DME
Correct Coding - Lithium Batteries - Revised
DME MAC Joint Publication
Posted on September 21, 2017
The DME MACs have recently had questions regarding the proper billing of lithium batteries. There are two types of lithium batteries: lithium batteries (standard) and lithium ion batteries. Lithium ion batteries are commonly used in consumer electronic devices and are rechargeable. Standard lithium batteries are disposable, non-rechargeable batteries. Suppliers must take care to properly distinguish between lithium ion and lithium batteries when billing claims to Medicare.
The following HCPCS codes are used to correctly code lithium batteries:
- A4235 - REPLACEMENT BATTERY, LITHIUM, FOR USE WITH MEDICALLY NECESSARY HOME BLOOD GLUCOSE MONITOR OWNED BY PATIENT, EACH
- A4601 - LITHIUM ION BATTERY, RECHARGEABLE, FOR NON-PROSTHETIC USE, REPLACEMENT
- A4602 - REPLACEMENT BATTERY FOR EXTERNAL INFUSION PUMP OWNED BY PATIENT, LITHIUM, 1.5 VOLT, EACH
- E2397 - POWER WHEELCHAIR ACCESSORY, LITHIUM-BASED BATTERY, EACH
- K0604 - REPLACEMENT BATTERY FOR EXTERNAL INFUSION PUMP OWNED BY PATIENT, LITHIUM, 3.6 VOLT, EACH
- K0605 - REPLACEMENT BATTERY FOR EXTERNAL INFUSION PUMP OWNED BY PATIENT, LITHIUM, 4.5 VOLT, EACH
- L7367 - LITHIUM ION BATTERY, RECHARGEABLE, REPLACEMENT
Code A4235 describes a lithium battery, not a lithium ion battery. This code is used to bill lithium batteries for glucose monitors, regardless of the voltage.
Codes A4602, K0604, and K0605 describe lithium batteries commonly used in external infusion pumps. Note that each code has an associated voltage.
Claims for lithium batteries for external insulin infusion pumps (E0784) that do not use a voltage described by either code A4602, K0604, and K0605 must be billed using code A9999 (MISCELLANEOUS DME SUPPLY OR ACCESSORY, NOT OTHERWISE SPECIFIED).
Code A4601 describes a lithium ion battery, not a lithium battery.
Code E2397 describes lithium ion batteries used for a power mobility device (K0800-K0898) or a push-rim activated power assist device (E0986).
Code L7367 describes lithium ion batteries for prosthetics.
Refer to the Contractor Supplier Manual, applicable Local Coverage Determination, related Policy Article, and Standard Documentation Article for additional information about applicable coverage, coding, and documentation requirements.
For questions about correct coding, contact the PDAC Contact Center at (877) 735-1326 during the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. CT, Monday through Friday, or e-mail the PDAC by completing the DME PDAC Contact Form located on the PDAC website: https://www.dmepdac.com/.
|Date of Change||Description|
|01/01/15||Updated to add A4602|
|09/21/17||Revised to include PMD codes for which E2397 may be used|
Last Updated Wed, 14 Jul 2021 19:41:03 +0000