Physician Handwritten Signature Documentation Requirements - JF Part A
Physician Handwritten Signature Documentation Requirements
Documentation errors may lead to payment denial or recoupment. Providers are reminded that handwritten signatures must be legible to support services rendered.
- Physician's certification with signature blacked out and the date is missing. This document cannot be used to support timely certification/recertification.
- Physician's authenticated progress notes were not included in the medical records to support medical necessity or reason for the services.
- Physician's signature highlighted (note, when information is highlighted, the information is not visible when copied).
Review the medical records prior to sending to make sure the handwritten signature requirements are met. If the signature is unreadable or indecipherable send the added information with the medical record as follows:
- Signature with a typed or printed name
- Signature with the letterhead or other information on the page that includes the physician's full name
- Signature with no typed or printed name or no letterhead with full name then submitted documentation must include a signature log, or an attestation statement
- CMS Internet Only Manual (IOM), Publication 100-08, Medicare Program Integrity Manual, Chapter 3, Section 126.96.36.199 (D)
Last Updated Tue, 03 Mar 2020 11:18:35 +0000