Noridian processes lab services based on the CMS established regulations (provided as a resources within this webpage).
Diagnostic X-ray, laboratory, and other diagnostic tests, including materials and the services of technicians, are covered under the Medicare program. Some clinical laboratory procedures or tests require Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval before coverage is provided.
- A diagnostic laboratory test is considered a laboratory service for billing purposes, regardless of whether it is performed in:
- A physician's office, by an independent laboratory;
- By a hospital laboratory for its outpatients or nonpatients;
- In a rural health clinic; or
- In an Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) or Health Care Prepayment Plan (HCPP) for a patient who is not a member.
Last Updated Apr 13, 2017