Medicare ambulance services are typically a Part B covered benefit; however, in some situations, it may be covered by Part A. Medicare considers the ambulance benefit as a transport so if there is no transport provided there is no payable service. See the guides below for further details on ambulance covered services.
- Ambulance Services Center
- CMS Medicare Learning Network (MLN) Matters Special Edition (SE)1514 - Overview of the Repetitive Scheduled Non-emergent Ambulance Prior Authorization Model
- CMS MLN Matters MM6700 - Ensuring the Denial of Claims for Ambulance Services Rendered to Beneficiaries in Part A Skilled Nursing Facility Stays
- IOM, Publication 100-02, Chapter 10 - Ambulance Services, Sections 10-30
- IOM, Publication 100-04, Chapter 15 - Ambulance, Sections 20-40
Last Updated Apr 13, 2017