Reason Code 17701 - JF Part A
Reason Code 17701
Reason Code Narrative
PRINCIPAL DIAGNOSIS CODE AND ADMITTING DIAGNOSIS CODE (IF PRESENT) MUST BE THREE TO SIX POSITIONS LEFT JUSTIFIED WITH NO DECIMAL POINTS. THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS WILL BE VALIDATED BY THE MEDICARE CODE EDITOR; ALL ERRORS MUST BE CORRECTED PRIOR TO RUNNING THE MEDICARE GROUPER PROGRAM.
Common Reason Code Errors
- Principal diagnosis code and/or admitting diagnosis code submitted with a decimal point.
- Principal diagnosis code and/or admitting diagnosis code is not a valid ICD code.
- Principal diagnosis code and/or admitting diagnosis code was submitted with a space in front of the code (not left justified).
Common Reason Code Corrections
- Verify the principal and/or admitting diagnosis is three to six characters, is left justified, and has no decimal points.
- Correct code(s) and F9 claim to store.
- Providers should tab through the diagnosis and procedure code fields and delete and rekey any codes that are not left justified.
View reason code list, return to Reason Code Guidance page.
Last Updated Tue, 25 Oct 2022 18:37:23 +0000