Reason Code B20 - JA DME
Reason Code B20
|Reason Code: B20||Procedure/service was partially or fully furnished by another provider.|
Common Reasons for Denial
- Item was partially or fully furnished by another provider
- Was beneficiary inpatient?
- If wrong date of service was billed, suppliers may do a self service reopening in the Noridian Medicare Portal. When provided within 2 days prior to anticipated discharge to home, the discharge date must be billed
- If beneficiary was not inpatient on date items were provided, contact the facility to update their billing. You can find the NPI of the facility through the claim status page under expanded denial details of the NMP for that specific claim. Once that billing update is verified through Self Service, supplier can either do a self service reopening or rebill the claim for the correct date of service.
How to Avoid Future Denials
- Verify correct date of service and place of service is billed
- Payment cannot be made by DME MAC for items received while a beneficiary is in a hospital stay unless equipment was delivered no more than two days prior to anticipated discharge. In this case the billed date of service is the discharge date
- Suppliers may use the Noridian Medicare Portal or the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System to verify if beneficiary was inpatient on billed date of service.
Last Updated Mon, 01 Nov 2021 15:41:18 +0000