Prior Authorization for Power Mobility Devices - JD DME
Tell us what you think
Your comments will help us improve our services.
Take the Prior Authorization Survey
Prior Authorization for Power Mobility Devices
The CMS final rule 42 CFR §§405 and 414., in 2016, established a Condition of Payment Prior Authorization process for certain DMEPOS items frequently subject to unnecessary utilization. It began with two Power Mobility Device (PMD) HCPCS codes, K0856 and K0861, and as of 2022 encompasses 40 PMD and six power operated vehicle (POV) HCPCS codes.
Effective March 20, 2023, for dates of service on or after April 6, 2023, a request may be submitted to review eligible PMD accessory HCPCS codes on a voluntary basis when a prior authorization (PA) for the required PMD base is submitted. The list of eligible HCPCS codes can be accessed here. Review of accessories provides an opportunity for review of items that don’t required PA.
Access the below related information from this page.
- Documentation to Include in Submission
- Methods of Submission
- Expedited Request Guidelines
- Avoid Request Rejections
- Affirmative and Non-Affirmative Decisions
- Decision Letters
- Top Reasons for Power Mobility Devices (PMD) Non-Affirmations
- PMDs - Access PMD coverage, documentation, reviews/audits, and tips
- PMD Related Articles
- Still Have Questions?
Documentation to Include in Submission
- Face-to-Face Evaluation (F2F)
- Medical records addressing beneficiary's mobility related abilities and policy criteria
- Written Order Prior to Delivery (WOPD)
- Must be completed within six (6) months after the required face-to-face encounter
- Following the face-to-face encounter, the treating practitioner must complete the WOPD
- See the Standard Documentation Requirements Article (A55426) for all requirements
- Specialty Evaluation
- Performed by a licensed/certified medical professional (LCMP)
- Documents medical necessity for wheelchair and its special features
- Documents no financial relationship between LCMP and supplier
- RESNA-Certified Assistive Technology Professional (ATP)
- Documents in-person involvement in wheelchair selection
- Documents ATP credentials
- Any additional medical records providing support for medical necessity
For a review of eligible PMD accessories, the same documentation listed above is required as well as a standard written order (SWO) for the accessories if not already listed on the WOPD.
Documentation must be submitted to the appropriate jurisdiction based on the beneficiary's permanent address with the PA coversheet for fax, mail, or electronic submission of medical documentation (esMD).
For Noridian Medicare Portal (NMP) submissions, complete all required fields in the portal as a coversheet is not required.
To ensure process efficiency, assure all components are completed and included within the PA submission package.
PA requests will be reviewed within 10 business days.
Voluntary Review of PMD Accessories
A request to review eligible PMD accessories must be included in the PA request for the PMD base. If a request is submitted to review accessories only, it will be rejected.
Indicate a request for review on the PA coversheet, in the NMP, or in the PA request documentation.
The table below shows various scenarios for the voluntary review of accessories:
Prior Authorization Request
|PMD Base Requested||Can Accessories Be Reviewed||Outcome|
|PMD Base Previously Affirmed||No||The PA request will be rejected.|
|No PMD Base Requested||No||Accessories are only reviewed when submitted with a PMD base.|
|Initial Request for PMD base||Yes||Will review eligible PMD accessories requested.|
|PMD Base Previously Non-Affirmed||Yes||Accessories can be reviewed on resubmission when the PMD base was previously non-affirmed.|
Once a PMD base is affirmed, accessories cannot be requested for review through the voluntary PA program.
Methods of Submission
- Noridian Medicare Portal (NMP)
- A coversheet is not required for NMP submission
- Electronic Submission of Medical Documentation (esMD)
Expedited Request Guidelines
In very rare emergent circumstances an expedited review may be requested. To be processed as an expedited request, circumstances must be in accordance with the following guidelines:
- Expedited request must be accompanied by supporting medical documentation
- Physician indicates clearly, with supporting rationale, that the 10-business day timeframe for an initial decision could jeopardize the beneficiary's life or health
When documentation does not support the above guidelines, expedited requests will be reviewed within the standard timeframe.
Avoid Request Rejections
There are various reasons why a PA may be rejected and not reviewed. Proper completion of the PA coversheet and a thorough intake process aids in minimizing most rejections. Common reasons include:
- HCPCS code is not subject to prior authorization
- Beneficiary does not reside in this jurisdiction
- Duplicate to a previous prior authorization request
Affirmative and Non-Affirmative Decisions
After the PA submission goes through the medical review process, the supplier will receive a decision letter.
Based on the review, it was determined the beneficiary meets the medical necessity requirements established by Medicare for the PMD base requested and accessories, if reviewed.
Once an affirmed decision has been made, submit the claim. Include the 14-byte UTN, provided within the decision letter, as indicated below.
Based on the review, a supplier is required to follow-up prior to submitting a resubmission.
Treating practitioners involved in the submission of a prior authorization may request a copy of the decision letter.
- Treating practitioner requesting the letter must be able to demonstrate a legitimate, specific need for information requested
- Request may be sent in with PA request or separately
Still Have Questions?
Call the Supplier Contact Center or Interactive Voice Response (IVR), or Pre-Claim Hotline.
- CMS Internet Only Manual (IOM), Publication 100-08, Medicare Program Integrity Manual
- CMS Medicare Learning Network (MLN) Matters (MM)6698
- CMS Medicare Learning Network (MLN) Connects Newsletter 2023-03-02
- DMEPOS Operational Guide
Last Updated Mon, 13 Mar 2023 13:54:25 +0000