Article Detail - JE Part B
Billing and Coding: JW and JZ Modifier Billing Guidelines (A53024) - R6 - Effective January 10, 2023
This coverage article has been revised and published for notice under contract numbers: 01112 (NCA), 01182 (SCA), 01212 (HI and Territories), and 01312 (NV).
Effective Date: January 10, 2023
Summary of Article Changes:
Updated Article Billing and Coding: JW and JZ Modifier Billing Guidelines
Updated guidance in the Article Text section:
- Changed the sentence: "This article addresses the required use of the JW and JZ modifier to indicate drug wastage."
- Added: "Effective July 1, 2023, Medicare requires the JZ modifier on all claims for single-dose containers where there are no discarded amounts."
- Added: To submit claims for a non-discarded claim, submit one complete claim line.
- HCPCS code for drug given
- JZ modifier to indicate no waste
- Number of units given to the patient
- Calculate submitted price for the amount given
- Removed MLN Matter Article MM9603 under sources as this is no longer published.
- Updated Title of Source #3: Discarded Drugs and Biologicals - JW Modifier and JZ Modifier Policy Frequently Asked Questions (cms.gov)
Updated CPT/HCPCS Modifier: added JZ modifier
Visit the Noridian Medicare Coverage Articles webpage to view the complete listing of coverage articles and/or access the Active, Future, or Retired articles available in the CMS MCD.
Last Updated Thu, 02 Mar 2023 18:22:06 +0000