Article Detail - JE Part B
Monkeypox and Smallpox Vaccine Codes 90611 and 90622
Through the World Health Organization public health emergency, the federal government will distribute Monkeypox vaccines to providers. Two new vaccine codes were developed.
- 90611 - Smallpox and monkeypox vaccine, attenuated vaccinia virus, live, non-replicating, preservative free, 0.5 mL dosage, suspension, for subcutaneous use
- 90622 - Vaccinia (smallpox) virus vaccine, live, lyophilized, 0.3 mL dosage, for percutaneous use
When the government provides vaccines at no cost, only bill for the vaccine administration:
- Submit vaccine codes with a penny charge with the administration code(s) 90471 if just one vaccine is administered or 90471 and 90472 if additional vaccines are administered to the same beneficiary.
- Do not charge the beneficiary when vaccines are free
- Patient cost sharing applies for the administration code
Source: CMS MLN Connects, August 11, 2022, Vaccine information
Last Updated Tue, 23 Aug 2022 14:38:42 +0000