Provider Transaction Access Number (PTAN)
A PTAN is a Medicare-only number issued to providers by Medicare Administrative Contractors (MACs) upon enrollment to Medicare. MACs issue an approval/notification letter, including PTAN information, when an enrollment is approved.
PTAN and NPI Relationship
While only the National Provider Identifier (NPI) is submitted on claims, the PTAN is a critical number directly linked to a provider or supplier's NPI. A PTAN's use should generally be limited to a provider's communication with their MAC.
Multiple PTANs for Different Practice Locations May be Appropriate
Noridian may determine and issue more than one PTAN depending only upon the reasonable charge locality of your practice locations. Unless the reasonable charge locality changes, additional PTANs will not be assigned. Use the Noridian Reasonable Charge Locality List [Excel] to determine an additional PTAN is appropriate.
Provider Not Eligible for a Medicare PTAN
Requests for a "denial only letter" are no longer accepted. Providers that are not eligible for a Medicare number must have the beneficiary submit the CMS-1490S form.
Inactive PTANs are Deactivated
Medicare is mandated by CMS to deactivate PTANs not being used. The deactivation process occurs every month. A provider's PTAN is deactivated when he or she has not billed the Medicare program for four consecutive quarters. A PTAN is given an end-date when it is deactivated, meaning claims can get submitted prior to the end-date within a year of the service date.
Find my PTAN
There are two options to find a provider PTAN.
- Notification Letter: The MAC will issue a notification/approval letter with the PTAN once the Provider's enrollment is approved.
- Provider Enrollment, Chain, and Ownership System (PECOS): PECOS is the most efficient way to find a PTAN. Follow these simple steps to find PTANs in PECOS.
- Log into Internet-based PECOS
- Select "My Associates" on PECOS home page
- Select "View Enrollments" by applicable individual or organizational enrollment
- Click on "View Medicare ID Report"
- PTAN or PTANs are listed in Medicare ID column
Last Updated Feb 13, 2020