Services Included in Global Surgery Payment - JE Part B
Services Included in Global Surgery Payment
The Medicare approved amount for these procedures includes payment for the following services related to the surgery when furnished by the physician who performs the surgery. The services included in the global surgical package may be furnished in any setting, e.g., in hospitals, ASCs, physicians' offices. Visits to a patient in an intensive care or critical care unit are also included if made by the surgeon. However, critical care services (99291 and 99292) are payable separately in some situations.
- Preoperative Visits - Preoperative visits after the decision is made to operate beginning with the day before the day of surgery for major procedures and the day of surgery for minor procedures;
- Intra-operative Services - Intra-operative services that are normally a usual and necessary part of a surgical procedure;
- Complications Following Surgery - All additional medical or surgical services required of the surgeon during the postoperative period of the surgery because of complications which do not require additional trips to the operating room;
- Postoperative Visits - Follow-up visits during the postoperative period of the surgery that are related to recovery from the surgery;
- Postsurgical Pain Management - By the surgeon;
- Supplies - Except for those identified as exclusions; and
- Miscellaneous Services - Items such as dressing changes; local incisional care; removal of operative pack; removal of cutaneous sutures and staples, lines, wires, tubes, drains, casts, and splints; insertion, irrigation and removal of urinary catheters, routine peripheral intravenous lines, nasogastric and rectal tubes; and changes and removal of tracheostomy tubes.
Last Updated Fri, 09 Dec 2022 15:01:06 +0000