99 - JE Part B
Multiple Modifiers (same line, same code)
When more than four modifiers are needed to describe a service on the same code, replace with modifier 99.
- Reflect all modifiers involved in Item 19 narrative or electronic equivalent
- Replace with modifier 99 in Item 24D
- Documentation must explain all modifiers involved
- Includes informational and pricing modifiers
- Certain modifiers may affect payment
- In this situation, do not append other modifiers in Item 24D
Claim Coding Example
Patient had a Mohs removal (within 90 day global) on the left cheek and then another on the right cheek (RT) by the same provider, repeated twice (i.e., 79, 59, RT) and not enough modifier spaces.
|Mohs micrographic technique, including removal||17311 99|
Last Updated Tue, 25 Oct 2022 15:55:52 +0000