AT - JE Part B
Acute or Active Treatment
This Chiropractic only modifier tells Medicare that this treatment should be covered as acute or active treatment.
Chiropractic manual manipulation of spine service for acute therapy
- Involves CPTs 98940, 98941 and 98942 only
Corrective treatment supporting the manipulation
- Not considered Maintenance therapy (see modifier GA)
- Documentation MUST support acute/active/corrective treatment
- Do not bill modifier AT with denial modifiers (GA, GX, GY or GZ) on same line
Claim Coding Example
An established patient complains of upper back pain due to gardening.
|Chiropractic Manipulative Treatment (CMT); spinal, three to four regions||98941 AT|
- CMS Internet Only Manual (IOM), Publication 100-02, Medicare Benefit Policy Manual, Chapter 15, Section 240.1
- Chiropractic Services Local Coverage Determination (LCD)
Last Updated Wed, 12 Feb 2020 16:14:06 +0000