MLN Connects Special Edition - November 26, 2019
New Medicare Card: Claim Reject Codes After January 1
Get paid. Use Medicare Beneficiary Identifiers (MBIs) now.
If you do not use MBIs on claims (with a few exceptions) after January 1, you will get:
- Electronic claims reject codes: Claims Status Category Code of A7 (acknowledgment rejected for invalid information), a Claims Status Code of 164 (entity's contract/member number), and an Entity Code of IL (subscriber)
- Paper claims notices: Claim Adjustment Reason Code (CARC) 16 "Claim/service lacks information or has submission/billing error(s)" and Remittance Advice Remark Code (RARC) N382 "Missing/incomplete/invalid patient identifier"
We encourage people with Medicare to carry their cards with them since we removed the Social Security Number-based numbers; if your patients do not bring their Medicare cards with them:
- Give them the Get Your New Medicare Card flyer in English (PDF) or Spanish (PDF).
- Use your Medicare Administrative Contractor's look-up tool. Sign up for the Portal to use the tool.
- Check the remittance advice. Until the end of December, we return the MBI on the remittance advice for every claim with a valid and active Health Insurance Claim Number.
See the MLN Matters Article to learn how to get and use MBIs.
Last Updated Feb 11, 2020