Diabetic, Diabetes Self-Management Training (DSMT) and Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) Services
Medicare provides coverage of diabetes screening tests for beneficiaries at risk for diabetes or those diagnosed with pre-diabetes.
Medicare provides coverage of DSMT services for beneficiaries who have been recently diagnosed with diabetes, were determined to be at risk for complications from diabetes, or were previously diagnosed with diabetes before meeting Medicare eligibility requirements and have since become eligible for coverage under the Medicare Program when a certified provider who meets certain quality standards furnishes these services.
Medicare provides coverage of MNT for beneficiaries diagnosed with diabetes or renal disease (except for those receiving dialysis).
|HCPCS/CPT Codes|| |
|ICD-9-CM Codes|| |
|Beneficiary Pays|| |
- CMS Internet Only Manual (IOM), Publication 100-02, Medicare Benefit Policy Manual, Chapter 15, Section 270.4.3 and 300
- CMS IOM, Publication 100-04, Medicare Claims Processing Manual, Chapter 18, Section 90
- CMS IOM, Publication 100-04, Medicare Claims Processing Manual, Chapter 4, Sections 300
- CMS Medicare Learning Network (MLN) Matters Special Edition (SE)1113 - Foot Care Coverage Guidelines
- CMS National Coverage Determination (NCD) 180.1 for MNT
Last Updated Apr 13, 2017