End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Services
End-stage renal disease is the almost complete or complete failure of the kidneys. Individuals will have already received a diagnosis of Chronic Kidney Disease. Individuals with ESRD typically are on dialysis or have had a kidney transplant since those are two ways to manage the disease.
- Hemodialysis In-Facility or Home Setting
- Ambulance Services - Medicare covers transports for patients with ESRD from their place of residence to a hospital or free standing dialysis facility that meet all other program requirements for coverage.
- CMS Internet Only Manual (IOM) Publication 100-02, Medicare Benefit Policy Manual, Chapter 11
- IOM Publication 100-02, Medicare Benefit Policy Manual, Chapter 15, Section 310
- CMS Medicare Learning Network (MLN) Matters (MM)8261 - Revisions to the Medicare Benefit Policy Manual, Chapter 11, ESRD to Reflect the Implementation of the ESRD Prospective Payment System (PPS)
- CMS MLN MM7064 - ESRD Prospective Payment System (PPS) and Consolidated Billing for Limited Part B Services
Last Updated Oct 24, 2016
ESRD 30 Month Coordination Period Calculator
Beneficiaries are required to complete a 30 month coordination period prior to Medicare becoming their primary insurance.