80 - JF Part B
Modifier 80 is appended to the surgical code when another surgeon is assisting at surgery. Check Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (MPFS) Indicator/Descriptor Lists. See Column A indicates if assistant at surgery allowed/not allowed.
- Assist-at-surgery allowed with appended modifiers 80, 81, or 82
- Allowed = 16% of surgery fee schedule allowable
- Note: Non Physician Practitioner (NPP) or mid-level practitioner (PA, NP, CNS):
- Append AS modifier only
- Allowed equals 85% of surgical assist or 16% allowable
- Inappropriate to bill AS modifier for physician surgical services
- Inappropriate to append modifier 58 (staging) with assistant surgery
Claim Coding Example
- Per fee schedule indicator, descriptor 2 = payment restriction for assistants at surgery does not apply to this procedure. Assistant surgeon may be paid.
|Gastric Bypass for Morbid Obesity||43846 80|
- CMS Internet Only Manual (IOM), Publication 100-04, Medicare Claims Processing Manual, Chapter 12, Section 20.4.3
Last Updated Tue, 25 Oct 2022 15:20:51 +0000